Pages

4.30.2008

New York - Day 2

Sunday morning we slept in...a little but still made it downstairs for our free breakfast that was actually pretty good! Especially since most days the Crack team doesn't eat much breakfast because sleep is much more valuable than food for us in the mornings.

After Breakfast, we headed back up to our room for some quiet time. We had gotten the King Suite room which included a sofa and coffee table. So we curled up for our own "church." I have to say, I endorse Bed-side Baptist for an occasional alternative to corporate worship. We read together some of Love and Respect which was given to us at our wedding.
When we finally went outside it was COLD! Darn that springtime on the East Coast can be like winter in Texas. Or darn that putting Christmas lights up in Texas can be done in shorts. Either way, my thin blood noticed the chill in the air. We decided it was the perfect day for Broadway and headed to TKTS for some matinee tickets. We opted for Chorus Line. My mom always loved it, I love to dance, and Chris loves to sing so it seemed like a good choice. I did a little scream as we were leaving the ticket line...I figure NY could handle my drama and go figure, no one even flinched.

The theater was opening in 15 minutes so we rounded out the NY experience by grabbing a hot dog, pretzel, and coke from one of the street cart vendors. We ate quickly in an alley (to avoid the wind chill) and headed to the theater. It's so strange to me that in NY stuffing a hot dog down your throat in an alley can be in the company of the most wealthy businessman in a full suit, a homeless person who wrangled some hot dog money from someone on the street, or both. I wonder if people pegged us as deliriously in love Texans who were super excited for Broadway...cause we were.

On with the show! We headed to the theater to find that we had great seats on the floor level. I heart TKTS! Also, I have to say, we LOVED Chorus Line. It was such a great story and the cast really responded to our active audience. We both enjoyed it so much we figured we'd extend the cold day by seeing an evening show too! We'd been bitten by the Broadway bug...

So, we got back in the TKTS line and choose tickets for Chicago which was in a theater really close to our hotel. (Note, I did another shriek of excitement with no response, what gives NYC?)We had time this round to go back and change into some pretty clothes. On our way back we ran into a girl in Times Square we assume is a Intern for the David Letterman Show giving out tickets. She told us "You look fun" and then asked a trivia question - apparently you have to know something about the show to go. She asked for the name of the woman in the Paul Shaffer band. Let me note something VERY important here: Chris and I don't watch much TV and particularly don't watch the late shows. So we had no idea. She agreed that since "we were fun" she'd ask one more questions which she wasn't supposed to do. Another note - if that really is the rule it's LAME since everyone else gives out free tickets, if it's not the rule why make your interns say it is? That only makes them look like dishonest employees. Anyway, this time she asked the hair color of Dave's announcer. Apparently that is an easy question and luckily Chris was able to answer: red. She gave us tickets for the Monday taping of Friday's show. (One more scream of excitement because heck, we're fun and I don't need a response). More on the LNWDL show in tomorrow's post.

We got in our pretty clothes even though it was still cold and headed to Chicago. It was good...not better than Chorus Line but for us Chorus Line would be hard to beat. We loved that the orchestra was on stage as part of the set. To watch them in action was great. Roxie Hart was played by a girl named Bianca Marroquin from Texas. She had a really great voice. Afterwards we were trying to figure out where to eat and out walks Roxie Hart herself. She was super nice and even agreed to take a picture with us (see picture!). Texans stick together - even in the Big Apple.

We were cold and hungry which for any of you that know the Crack Team know those are deadly ingredients for grouchy people. But, the Big Apple allure helped us get to a tiny Cantonese Noodle Soup dive without too much distress. I have to say that it seems you could walk into lots of places in NY and find something good to eat. The noodle place was no different. We each got a big bowl of noodle soup and talked about our Broadway Blow-out Day. If only I could sing I'd be right there in Chorus Line! To no response I even tried to re-sing the Ballet song on the walk home. Bless Chris...and his ears.

We got back to our hotel and cuddled in for a good nights sleep as lots of walking made for tired legs...

No comments: