Pages

12.30.2009

Are you kidding me?!

I know, I know....my blog stalkers are waiting and checking for Cupcake's First Christmas photo review. However, I couldn't wait for those pictures to be cropped and ready to comment on this. Today Texas Tech, my Alma mater, has made a mistake of HUGE proportions. Due to some allegations of mistreatment of one player, they have fired our head football coach, Mike Leach. I could not be more upset and disappointed at their hasty decision. I personally interacted with Coach Leach during my time at Texas Tech while serving on the University Presidents Select Council. Did he drink a little? Yes. Did he say things that are fairly off the cuff? Yes. Did he coach football in some unconventional ways? Yes. Would he hurt or mistreat a player...or anyone for that matter. NO. He might have been harsh or firm in ways that spoiled rotten rich kids may not be used to but he was not abusive. I'm sure of it.

Of course people are going to jump on opposing sides and bring out extreme circumstances in the next few days or even weeks. Of course Leach is human so he's got his "stuff" but we all do. I'm just super sad that Texas Tech had to act so hastily and fire someone who has done so many great things for our University. He was a coach to be admired....someone who wasn't afraid to try things out of the box...and someone who didn't care what others thought of him. I can't imagine that our football program will look as good as it has under Leach for a long, long time. And even if it does....I'm forever sad that Mike never got his National Championship while wearing the Double T. I don't know that I even care about Texas Tech football anymore. It's a sad day for this Red Raider.

Mike, you did well. I hope that you're able to keep your "I-don't-care-what-anyone-thinks" confidence in light of the media mess surrounding you. And, if it counts for anything, I've got my pirate patch on and I still think you are a brilliant and wonderful football coach. Ahoy Mate....and best of luck to you.