That's not the bone.
Me: Hello?
Minimum wage paid, student, calling center trained, guy(MSCG): Hello Ms. CrackTeam. I'm calling on behalf of your University to update your information for our annual alumni directory. Could I ask you a few questions to ensure that we have the most updated information for your classmates to connect with you?
Me: Sure. (already thinking about facebook, the obvious)
MSCG: Are you still married?
Me: Happily but if you look like Jonathan Crombie did in the 90's then ... oh wait, you probably were a baby in the 90's. Next question.
MSCG: Can you confirm your contact information?
Me: Yes (deleted from blog manuscript for obvious reasons)
MSCG: What is your career?
Me: I work full time in our home
MSCG: Doing what?
Me: I'm a mother and a wife
MSCG: You are a housewife?
Me: If you are thinking about the various shows of inappropriately dressed, surgery improved, self absorbed women then no. If you are thinking of a mother and a wife, yes.
MSCG: Ummmm ok. So you are a stay at home Mom.
Me: Sure.
MSCG: Apparently that's not a choice I'll just list unemployed.
Me: (With some bitterness) Do they have homemaker?
MSCG: No maam
Me: Is housewife an option even though I made it clear I didn't like that option?
MSCG: No. Sorry. We'll just go with unemployed. Now, would you like to purchase...
Me: No thank you. Someone who's unemployed shouldn't be spending money on an alumni directory when they can get on Facebook for free.
End of dialog excluding our heartfelt (ha!) goodbyes.
That's the bone.
Thank you LORD that I had the forward thinking to not unleash the beast on the poor Minimum wage paid, student, calling center trained, guy. However, HOW DARE THEY?! After years of paying tuition and 8 more of alumni dues and donations they look at my contributions to the home as unemployed. First, as a Mom I am raising potential future tuition payers. That alone should benefit them enough to recognize stay at home Mom. But money is hardly the point in my mind here! Another unimportant point is that you would assume a university would want to come up with some name for people who choose a job that doesn't pay. After all, wouldn't it be amazing if all young Mom's could/did stay home with their children? Then, if that actually happened the alumni guide would sure have a lot of unemployed people listed. Doesn't that reflect poorly on them? Anyway, more importantly, what is wrong with our society that for all practical purposes I am revered by my university as unemployed? (Refrain from making comments about my particular university. I doubt yours is much better at honoring stay at home mothers. Let's get real.) I chose with thoughtful consideration to be a Mom. Did I LOVE traveling the world in the name of fashionable time pieces? YES. Did I love using my gifts, talents, and degree? YES. Did I enjoy adult interaction on a daily basis? YES. Did it seem like life at home would be snot noses, dirty diapers, crying, and unfashionable Mom shoes? YES. Is it? Sometimes....
But, if I couldn't stand to stay home with my child and leave that life behind, why have children? I didn't have her in order to not work. And besides, wouldn't anyone or any university for that matter want America's educated and devoted women raising the future of our world?
Really I have a LOT I could say on this topic. More than you probably care to read. But I will say this: I know I am supposed to stay home and love, protect, teach, train, encourage, and refine the sometimes snot nosed, dirty diaper making, crying child who is best chased after in running shoes that are a few years broken in. I may not have a pay check, but I am working on the future of our world in the front lines and you while can't put a price on that....it doesn't mean you should call me unemployed. But even if you do...I'm staying unemployed and I'm proud of it.
Now excuse me while I go put on my unfashionable shoes to explore the world with my daughter. It's a VERY IMPORTANT JOB.






6 comments:
Preach on sista! Rock those unfashionable "nothing can replace what I do" Mom shoes....Your alma mater's alumni guide's got NOTHING on you!
Can I please (pretty pretty please) copy and paste this onto my blog (giving you credit for writing it, of course)? I love it, and I love you for writing it.
Well said my friend, well said :)
You go girl!!! It takes a special women to choose to stay home with her children. Not all people make that choice because they think they can't afford it. I say they can't afford not to. It's not easy but it is very worthwhile for everyone's sake. Yeah for you Karen and for all of you stay at home mom's. I did it 30 years ago and would do it all over again! We didn't drive fancy cars or have a lot of stuff or even have very many nights out but we made that sacrifice for our family. If given the chance I'd do it all over again. Those are very special memories for all of us. So glad you wrote about this!!
Proud of you!
Debbie Flannery
Good for you!! :D I always tell them when they call that I still have $13k in student loan debt and until that's paid off I won't be contributing to my alumni association any time soon.
wow! i was getting chills as i read your post! and i could also hear the inflection of your voice in my head as i read it~ i was going to pass it on to my mom ... but i see she already commented... here's a big THANK YOU to those that chose/choose to stay home! you are all my heroes!
Post a Comment