In light of my last post I thought you'd all enjoy and find it humorous to see pictures from our outing this weekend:
The grand tree at Macy's:
Sending Santa a letter:
Roasting a marshmallow for a good cause (seriously!):
Late lunch, early dinner. These girls are such Texans....the love their chips and dip-dip!
I know, I know! I just posted a huge old post about Christmas coming too early. This past Saturday we did head to a local shopping area for lunch and seeing the big tree. We didn't stick around for the official lighting but bands were already playing Christmas carols and you could submit your letter to Santa. I was feeling a little un-sure about our days activities and what it was teaching my girls. In the car on the way home Cupcake asked us "Why do those stores not celebrate Thanksgiving first?"
Thank you sweetie for the teachable moment I was looking for!
I had to think of a way to explain it to her that would be age appropriate. So the simple truth was what I came up with:
"Those stores make money when we believe that we don't have enough. If we were truly thankful for the things we had and felt satisfied with our blessings those stores would not make as much money. So they do not want to waste time on a holiday that could convince you that you don't need more."
Don't get me wrong...we'll be celebrating Christmas soon enough. We just don't want to overlook the gratitude that should come with Thanksgiving....and not lip service....true gratitude.







No comments:
Post a Comment