I have amazing parents. I've said it before. I'll say it again. I realize it more. Everyday.
One of the things they did for me that I truly believe has helped shape me was to have people in my life that were not family but who loved me, encouraged me, and inspired me. I have an impressive list of really wonderful people that were close to me throughout my formative years. Some were from church. Some were neighbors. Some were old, longtime, friends. Why was this important?
As I went to college and was beginning to really dream and pursue what I would want for the rest of my life I knew that there were family...and friends back home that believed in me and cared for me. The "and friends" part of that equation was important. Of COURSE your parents are going to think you are wonderful, smart, and able to do whatever you want. But with a back pocket full of other respectable adults who also had been a part of my life I had added confidence. I'm not sure how I was so blessed with such incredible people around me but I certainly don't take it for granted.
One such family is the Darling family. My Mom was college roomates with Cheri at UK and they kept in touch and still do. I still remember Cheri and Gary's wedding. I had probably been to other weddings but this is the first one I actually remember. AND...the first wedding you remember is the most magical. Cheri was a beautiful princess in my mind. Her prince was handsome. The dancing was a blast (I even got to dance with the groom!). The pretty dresses, the cake, running around with other kids....it was a dreamy event for this girly girl. They went on to have two amazing children and we've all kept in touch over the years. Gary is an umpire with an intense travel schedule for the majority of a year and yet they came to Austin for my wedding regardless of the arranging it must have taken to be here. They did the same for my brother's wedding. Cheri and Courtney came to see Cupcake not long after she was born and I should note they have the greatest taste in cute baby girl clothes. I could go on but suffice it to say I have been blessed by their friendship time and again. I hope that I am able to surround my girls with people who they will be encouraged by when they need a little more than the family's vote of confidence.
Long intro aside...the Darlings continue to be dear to our family extending to the next generation. By exciting happenstance Gary was scheduled to be in Boston for a Red Sox series during part of our stay. The hubs and I were able to go a game but it would be too late for the girls. So one of his days in the city, Gary grabbed a cab to JP and spent a morning with us. At the play ground across the street the girls fell in love with his playful and happy demeanor. There would be no convincing my girls that he can also be a hard as nails umpire who occasionally throws a manager out of a game!! They only saw a fun, cuddly, teddy bear!
If the park wasn't enough he treated us to a yummy burger and fries lunch at the local burger joint. Of course Cutie Pie was so in love at this point she was determined to sit on his lap the whole lunch!
One day this guy will make a fabulous Grandpa! My girls loved our fun morning of giggles, hugs, and fun.
Later that night with a babysitter home, this happened....you can read more about the game here. But basically in the 9th inning the Red Sox came back from what looked like it was going to be a discouraging loss to scoring 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th and winning. I should even mention that Gary had an interesting potentially game changing call when he reminded the Mariner's coach that his call for one pitcher (though he meant to call a different one) had to stand.
It was fun to be pseudo fans for such an exciting game:
Thanks Darlings! Really. You guys are so dear and we are so thankful for your friendship! Thanks Gary for the JP visit, lunch, and of course amazing Red Sox tickets! This was one of the highlights of my whole time there!



No comments:
Post a Comment