Pages

11.25.2010

Thank you farmers, thank you!

My feet ache, my belly is full, our kitchen has been abused and filthy, the oven is exhausted, and the dishwasher is still running. But our Thanksgiving meal was FABULOUS. Granted I could not have done it without the use of my appliances, the help of my Mother-in-law, and the never ending dishwashing of the hubs. However, who we really could not have done it without was the labor intensive work of the farmers. It was nearly impossible to go 5 minutes without thinking of people just miles from us that have been working on our meal much longer than today. So, to my local farmers:

THANK YOU! We sooooo appreciate you! Our Thanksgiving was a dream come true as we really hit our lo-cal-vore goal.

Here's a recap of what our 1st ever As-much-as-possible-local-Thanksgiving looked like:

The Turkey - 6 J Ranch. Sooooo yummy.


Sweet potato cassarole
Potatoes - Bush Farms, Pecans - Texas Pecan Farm, Butter - Way Back When Dairy, Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup - organic but not local.


Braised Green Beans
Green Beans - Hairston Creek Farms, Tomatoes - Angel Valley Organic Farm, Onion - Johnson's Backyard Garden

Sweet Corn - Two Happy Children Farm

Mashed potatoes - a cheat. The hubs really wanted mashed potatoes. They are organic, but not local.

Dinner rolls - Swedish Hill bakery

Pecan Pie
Pecans - Texas Pecan Farm, Butter - Way back When Dairy, Eggs - Smith and Smith Farm, sugar, flour, and chocolate chips - organic but not local

Apple Pie
Apples - Greenling (not sure of the exact farm but local), Butter - Way back When Dairy, Sugar, flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar - not local.


Whipped Cream for the Pies
Cream - Texas Daily Harvest

White Wine
Flat Creek Estate, local

We also had egg casserole for breakfast with Smith and Smith Farm eggs and Full Quiver Farm cheddar cheese.

I really do love that I can tell you exactly where most of our ingredients came from. I love that the money I spent on those ingredients was put back into our local economy. I love that it was a truly yummy and enjoyable meal. I am so thankful for the Cedar Park Farmers Market that pulls most of these farms to one place for us to shop every Saturday morning. Most of all, I love that in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I felt a true and deep sense of thankfulness for a bountiful harvest in Austin. I really do appreciate that farmers so near to us are working the land to provide such amazing foods. It tasted incredible in my tummy and in my heart.


Thank you local farmers (even ones not mentioned here that I've bought from other weeks at the market). We really do appreciate you. We pray you are enjoying a relaxing Thanksgiving and we pray this cold weather won't be too hard on your crops! See you next Saturday...apparently it'll be Eat Local Week in Austin. I think I can handle that :)

No comments: